The purposes of Troop 903’s HAT program are:
- To help boys acquire skills that make them more self-reliant.
- To develop critical thinking, judgment, and decision-making skills in our boys.
- To provide a challenging outdoor experience within safe and acceptable limits.
- To build leadership and citizenship tools utilizing the Boy-Led Patrol Method.
- To encourage boys to live by the Scout Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan, and the Outdoor Code.
The Troop 903 HAT program will use a “building-block” (incremental) approach to safely accomplish increasingly more challenging outdoor events.
- Focus on leading groups smaller than full-troop size.
- Follow all national and local Boy Scouts of America policies, Council regulations, and Troop 903 by-laws.
- Keep parents and all interested parties fully informed of all outings, itineraries, changes, procedures, and plans.
- Require advanced outdoor training for adult HAT leaders.
The Las Vegas Area Council Basin and Range Trails Program is the outline by which Troop 903 HAT activities will be planned and conducted. National BSA High Adventure programs (e.g., Philmont Scout Ranch. BSA Fifty-Miler Award, Order of the Arrow Trail Crew) will be incorporated when possible. Events will be approved in advance by the Troop 903 Scoutmaster. Any troop funding for HAT events will be approved by the Troop 903 Committee Chairperson.